How will Brexit affect your car insurance?
Jump to
Green Cards
Driving in Europe
Brexit and insurance prices
Driving documents

Now that the UK has left the EU, there are a few changes that could affect your car insurance.

We explain everything you need to know.

UK drivers need a Green Card to drive in the EU

A Green Card is an international certificate that proves you have the minimum level of insurance needed to legally drive in another country.

(They're sometimes called International Motor Insurance Cards.)

From 1st January 2021, UK motorists need a Green Card to drive in Europe. 🇪🇺

This includes countries in the EU, Iceland, Norway, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Andorra or Serbia.

You'll also need a Green Card if you drive between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Check out GOV.UK for a full list of the countries you'll need a Green Card to drive in.

Cuvva offers Green Cards free of charge to customers. You can apply through the Cuvva App or by emailing

You may need to display a GB sticker when driving in the EU

Cars registered in the UK need to display a GB sticker when driving in the EU.

This applies even if your car has the initials "GB" on the licence plate.

GB stickers cost around £1.50 and must be displayed on the rear of your car.

Driving without a GB sticker could land you a fine.🚫

Some drivers will need to get a permit to drive in EU countries

An International Driving Permit (IDP) is a translated version of your licence that makes it valid in other countries.🌍

You may need an IDP to drive in the EU Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have:

  • A licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man
  • A paper driving licence (rather than a photocard)

You must be over 18 and have a valid UK driving licence to apply for an IDP.

They can't be issued for provisional licences.

IDPs costs around £5.50 from the Post Office and must be carried along with your UK licence too.

If you're caught without an IDP or your UK licence, you could be fined and have your car seized. 🚨

You can find out if you need an IDP on GOV.UK.

Will Brexit affect the cost of car insurance?

While the Brexit deal was being negotiated, there were concerns about new tariffs on imports and exports that could make cars more expensive in the UK.

This may have caused car policies to become more expensive because insurers would have to factor the increased cost of repairing or replacing vehicles into the cost of insurance.

Under the terms of the Brexit agreement, no tariffs will be applied to products imported or exported between the UK and the EU. This shouldn't affect the price of cars for the time being.

The value of a vehicle and the cost of repairs is only one part of the story though.

Insurers take a lot of other factors into account when working out how much your policy will cost including:

This means that the cost of your policy could fluctuate depending on your individual circumstances.

You may need to take extra documentation while driving in the EU

If you're driving your own car in the EU and the trip is less than 12 months, you'll need to bring your log book (VC5) along.

Make sure you leave enough time to update the VC5 before you travel. You'll need to tell the DVLA if you want to take your car out of the UK for more than 12 months.

If you plan on driving a hired or leased car in the EU, for less than 12 months, you'll need to get a VE103 certificate to prove you're allowed to drive it abroad.

You can get a VE103 for a fee from:

Updated on 5th May 2021