Can I use Cuvva to drive an uninsured car?

When there's an active Cuvva policy on your vehicle, you're fully covered - the vehicle doesn't have to be covered by another insurance policy.

That means you can use Cuvva for driveaway insurance, or as temporary cover when you're between annual policies. You can also use a Cuvva monthly subscription as your main insurance policy.

But it's important to make sure that you're following UK insurance laws at all times - not just when you're covered by us.

Your vehicle should be insured at all times

By law, vehicles have to be insured all the time, not just while you're driving them. These are known as CIE (Continuous Insurance Enforcement) laws.

So while you can use Cuvva to drive an uninsured car, it would be illegal to leave that vehicle uninsured while you're not driving it.

You can find out more about this on the GOV.UK website.

Statutory Off-Road Notice (SORN)

The only way to own a car without having it insured is by registering your vehicle as "off the road". You can do this by getting a Statutory Off-Road Notice (SORN).

If a vehicle has a SORN, it doesn't need to have insurance, tax or MOT. But it's illegal to drive the vehicle, or to have it parked on a public road (unless you're driving to a pre-booked MOT appointment).

To get a SORN vehicle back on the road, you'll need to get it taxed again. You should also make sure that the vehicle has insurance, and a valid MOT.

Make sure you're on the right side of the law before getting a SORN, or driving a SORN vehicle - you can be fined up to £2,500 for breaking CIE laws.

How well did that answer your question?
Any questions?
We're here to help 24/7. Just ask.