Temporary car insurance: who we can cover

We try to offer insurance to as many people as we can. But there are still a few requirements - we can't cover everyone just yet!


Provisional licence: For learner's insurance, you'll need to be aged 17- 40. We can't insure learners who have held their provisional licence for 5 years or more.

Full licence: New customers will usually need to be aged 19 - 65. But if you're under 21, you'll need to have held your licence for at least 13 months.

You need a GB driving licence

That's a UK driving licence that was issued in England, Scotland, or Wales.

We sadly can't cover UK drivers with licences issued in Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, or the Isle of Man, because these regions have different licencing authorities to the mainland. Right now, only Great Britain's licencing authority (the DVLA) gives us access to the licence data that the app needs to work.

We can't insure EU licences yet

Sadly, we can't cover drivers with a non-GB driving licence.

That doesn't mean you have to be a British citizen, though. We can cover foreign nationals with a GB licence.

Just be sure to check the declarations page in the app, as some policies will require you to have been a resident of the UK for a certain amount of time.

Accidents, Claims History, and Points

There's not a fixed number of accidents, claims, or licence points that would stop you from insuring with us.

So we often can cover drivers who have had incidents or convictions in the past.

There can sometimes be restrictions, though. They can depend on the vehicle you're trying to insure, or the insurer that's underwriting your Cuvva policy. If there's a restriction, it'll usually be based on the nature, or number, of your past incidents or convictions.

You don't have to tell us about licence points when you join Cuvva - we get that information from the DVLA. But it's important to declare your accidents and claims in the app when you sign up.

You might not be able to insure every vehicle

There are some vehicles that we can't cover at the moment.

For some others (usually vehicles in higher insurance groups) you'll need to have had a full licence for a certain amount of time before we can insure you on them.

We've gone into more detail about the vehicles we can cover for temporary insurance policies, and monthly subscriptions.

Get a quote to be sure

As always, the best way to be sure that we can insure you is by trying to get a quote - this only takes a couple of minutes.

And if you still need help, our customer support team are available 24/7. On average, they'll get back to you in just 1 minute.

How well did that answer your question?
Any questions?
We're here to help 24/7. Just ask.