Taxing a car with temporary insurance

Maybe you’re thinking to yourself, can I tax my car with temporary insurance? If you are, or even if you’re not, this article can help you.

The good news is that yes, you can use temporary insurance to tax your car. And you can do it in a few ways:

  • Online

  • On your phone

  • At the post office

You should be a-okay to tax your vehicle with ease. As long as the policy details are on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

The MID and your tax

A word of caution: the Motor Insurance Database can take a few days to update, even though we insurers are quick off the mark to send your details across.

But once the policy details are on there, hey presto, you can tax to your heart's content.

If you buy a new car, you can’t transfer the old owner’s tax

If you’ve bought a second-hand car, you’ll need to get it taxed. You can’t use the other person’s tax, and you can’t transfer their tax over to you. And there’s no “grace period” with tax, either, so you can’t even drive it home without getting it taxed.

That can be tricky if you haven’t got insurance sorted. Which makes temporary car insurance a great way to get yourself insured for the drive home - and you can use it to sort your tax out, too.

Proof of insurance

You usually don’t need to provide proof, especially if you’ve taxed your car online. But if you do get asked (it happens sometimes if you sort your tax out at the post office) it’s as easy as showing your policy documents.

You can check your car's tax, along with a bunch of other stuff, using our free car checker.

Read more: Can you tax a car without insurance?

How well did that answer your question?

Any questions?

We're here to help 24/7. Just ask.

Cuvva is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority. (#690273)