Driving with private plates

You can get temporary car insurance on a vehicle with private registration plates, even if you've only recently changed them with the DVLA.

We rely on  a few different sources of vehicle data, including the DVLA, to insure your vehicle. To change the registration plates on your vehicle, you must first register the new plates with the DVLA.

When it comes to private plates, there are usually three possible scenarios:

  1. The DVLA's database has already updated and recognises that your new private plates are linked to your vehicle. If this is the case, then do a little celebration dance and continue using Cuvva like normal!
  2. You've registered your new plates with the DVLA, but Cuvva isn't recognising them when you try to get insured. This means we're still waiting for our systems to be updated with the latest DVLA information. We can update your vehicle plates manually on our system. But we need the following information before we do:

    • Vehicle V5C (Logbook) with old plates to confirm your vehicle's original VRM
    • Ideally, the vehicle V5C confirming your new plates. If you haven't received the new logbook yet, it's best to chat to us in the app. There's a workaround we can try.
  3. If you've bought your fancy new private plates but don't have them on your vehicle yet, it's best to continue insuring your vehicle with the old plates, until they've officially been changed with the DVLA.

Bear in mind if you switch your plates mid-policy, we can't transfer the insurance to the new plates even though it's the same vehicle. In this case you would need to take out a new insurance policy with the new plates.

How well did that answer your question?

Any questions?

We're here to help 24/7. Just ask.

Cuvva is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority. (#690273)