Driving in Europe with our temporary car insurance

You can use Cuvva’s short-term insurance to drive in other countries. But you can only buy policies in the UK, and your level of cover outside the UK won’t be comprehensive.

Before we delve into Europe, let’s start a bit closer to home…

(This article is about our temporary car insurance. For monthly subscription, you can get fully comprehensive cover for 60 days. We’ll publish a separate article about that soon.)

The United Kingdom and Great Britain

They sound similar, but the UK and Great Britain aren’t exactly the same thing. And this can have an impact on your car insurance.

The UK is made up of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. You can buy Cuvva policies in these lands (subject to all the usual eligibility criteria, of course). Your Cuvva policies will give you fully comprehensive cover while you’re there.

Great Britain is made up of England, Scotland and Wales. When it comes to using Cuvva, there’s a key difference between here and Northern Ireland.

Great Britain driving licences are issued by the DVLA. And Cuvva uses a service called MyLicence. This service gives us the driving licence data we need, from the DVLA, when you get a quote.

Northern Ireland driving licences are issued by the DVA. We can’t get driving licence data from the DVA, which means we can’t insure you if you’ve got a Northern Ireland driving licence.

While we can’t cover drivers with licences that aren’t issued by the DVLA right now, we hope to change that in future.

You can find out more about getting a licence from the DVLA on the government’s website.

Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man

Guernsey (including Alderney) and Jersey are part of the Channel Islands. These islands, along with the Isle of Man, are known as British Crown Dependencies.

These islands issue their own driving licences. They aren’t issued by the DVLA. And, at the moment, we can only cover drivers with licences issued by the DVLA.

But if you do have a DVLA licence, and you’ve bought a Cuvva policy, you’re covered to drive on these islands.

Our motor insurance policies give you comprehensive cover while you’re there - the same as when you’re driving in the UK.


Cuvva’s motor insurance policies also cover you to drive in Europe. We’re defining Europe as countries in the EU, along with Andorra, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, Serbia and Switzerland. These are countries where your UK motor insurance policy has to provide a minimum level of cover (more on that below).

But it’s important to bear in mind that the level of cover is less than a third party only policy. It only covers damage to the other person’s car - not your own. It doesn’t cover you if your car’s stolen, either, or if it’s damaged by fire.

Some policies have a limit on the amount of days you can spend outside the UK, too. For example, your policy documents might say that you can spend a maximum of 60 days abroad within a year. So, as always, you should check that you’re happy with your cover before getting behind the wheel.

You can only buy policies in the UK

The Cuvva app needs your UK location to help work out if we can offer you temporary insurance, and to figure out what the price will be. So you’ll need to be in the UK when you buy your policy.

While you can only buy policies in the UK, you can still drive to other countries. Just make sure you buy a policy long enough to get you back to the UK! As we won’t be able to offer any extra cover while you’re in another country.

And finally, you should bear in mind that the rules around driving in Europe could change once the Brexit transition period is over. This is currently due to run till 31 December 2020. There’s a chance it’ll be extended, but who really knows.

How well did that answer your question?

Any questions?

We're here to help 24/7. Just ask.

Cuvva is authorised and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority. (#690273)