• Extend policies in one tap
• Policies start instantly
The benefits of one hour car insurance
- Their no claims bonus will be protected
- They won’t have to waste their day trying to get through to their insurer on the phone
- It will normally be much cheaper than being added as a named driver
- Registration and getting a quote only takes an average of 2 minutes
- Wider age group (from 19)
- No upfront membership fee
- No waiting time for confirmation
- Cheaper and easier to borrow a friend’s car
With most car trips lasting less than 1 or 2 hours, buying daily car insurance may not always make sense. Depending on your driving needs, buying a couple of 3 hour blocks may still be significantly cheaper than the daily average cost. Allowing you the flexibility to only pay for what you need and potentially save money.
Reasons for daily cover
Sharing the driving
Test drive insurance
Trying out your friend’s car
Staying with friends
Emergency temporary car insurance
1 hour car insurance
Insurance is available to learner drivers between 17-45 and full licence holders between 19-65 (although if you’re aged between 19 and 21, you must have held your licence for at least a year and have no at-fault claims). It is available on vehicles with and without another insurance policy on the car (full policy rules).
How it works
Create an account
Download the Cuvva app and sign up in minutes.
Find your vehicle
Enter your registration plate.
Pick a policy
Get cover for as little as one hour, or as long as 28 days.
Pay for the policy and drive away. You can extend it in seconds.
Greater flexibility with hourly car insurance
Cuvva was the first insurance company to bring hourly car insurance to the UK. We wanted to be able to offer people to get insured for a few hours without having to go through the hassle of entering all your details on a website over and over again. If you find yourself needing to extend the length of your policy, you can purchase policy durations starting from 30 minutes in a couple of taps.
What our customers love
What a fantastic app and company to use. Cuvva have made something that used to use up a fair amount of time and effort into something so simple! Once set up on the app it actually takes 30 seconds to be insured!
Easy to use and gives peace of mind. My husband could borrow my friend’s car for a couple of hours work – no hassle whatsoever.
The whole concept behind Cuvva changes the rules on car insurance and creates a genuinely useful and innovative way to think about driving. I would recommend the app without any hesitation.
Frequently asked questions
Who can we cover?
We have worked hard with our underwriter to offer insurance to as many people as possible. It is currently available to learner drivers between 17-45 and full licence holders between 19-65 (although if you're aged between 19 and 21, you must have held your licence for at least a year and have no at-fault claims).
We only offer cover to holders of UK DVLA licences, on cars valued between £0 - £40,000 and up to insurance group 49 for experienced drivers. Check our full short term insurance policy rules for full details on who we can and cannot cover
What vehicles can we cover?
Currently, we can insure cars and vans. There are a number of variable rules set by our underwriter that affect what vehicles you can get insured on such as how long you have held your licence and the insurance group of the vehicle. Also, there are some set rules, which are:
- cannot be older than 20 years old
- cannot have modifications of any kind
- cannot be scrapped
- cannot be impounded
- must be valued at above £1 and below £40,000
- cannot be older than 20 years
- must be between insurance groups 1 - 20
- cannot have modifications of any kind
- cannot be scrapped
- must be valued at above £1 and below £20,000
That is not an exhaustive list but it gives you a good indication of what vehicles we can currently insure. As we continue to grow, the range of vehicles we can insure should always keep expanding.
To see if we can insure you on a specific vehicle it's best to get a quote in our app.
What will you need to purchase insurance from us?
To purchase temporary car insurance through Cuvva, you will need to download our app on your phone. To register, you will need to have:
- A photo of government approved photo ID (typically, this will either be your passport or your Driving Licence)
- A UK DVLA driving licence number (we use this to check whether you have any motoring convictions and to verify the name, address and date of birth)
- Your own UK debit/credit card to make the payment
- Declared all incidents (at fault/not at fault) that you have been involved, as a driver, passenger or named driver, in the last 5 years.
- Been a resident in the UK for the past 3 years or have been a long-term resident within the last 5 years who’s back visiting the UK.
- Permission from the owner of the vehicle
If you have a problem using the app or purchasing insurance and you would like to speak to us, the easiest way to do so is using our online chat function. This can be done in app, on the website (using the speech bubble) or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. On average, we will get back to you within 2 minutes!
Motor Insurance Database (MID)
All purchased car insurance policies are added to the MID (Motor Insurance Database) and any policy can be checked by visiting the AskMID website. Unfortunately, the database updates irregularly, sometimes as little as once a week and, in addition, the police ANPR camera database is updated weekly. This can mean that the police may stop you for “driving without insurance” when you are fully insured. If this happens you can show the officers your policy documents and ask that they do a live MID check.
The excess is dependent on a number of factors taken into account for the generation of a quote. It can, therefore, fluctuate depending on the driver, the vehicle and the location.
The excess is visible before purchase once a quote has been generated – this is labelled “Mandatory Excess”. Cuvva currently has no voluntary excess but we hope to offer this in the future.